Join us at Bazaar del Mundo’s vibrant celebration of Latin American culture and art! Immerse yourself in the rich traditions and exquisite craftsmanship of the region at the Latin American Festival and Mata Ortiz Pottery Market, taking place from August 4-6.
Step into our transformed courtyard, where artisans from across Latin America will create a bustling marketplace. Discover a treasure trove of authentic folk art, including traditional embroidered clothing, handwoven textiles, captivating collectibles, stunning jewelry, and meticulously crafted ceramic and clay pottery.
Get ready to be amazed by the largest display of Mata Ortiz pottery, renowned for its intricate process and hand-painted geometric and ancestral symbols. Talented potters will showcase their remarkable creations, offering a glimpse into this ancient art form.
Featured visiting artists this year include:
- Pedro and Diego Montaño: Oaxacan weavers from Teotitlan del Valle, showcasing marvelous wool rugs and runners in traditional and contemporary Mexican designs. Witness their artistry with live demonstrations on their handmade loom.
- Jacobo and Maria Angeles: Oaxacan wood carving masters known for their traditional alebrijes, the fantastical creatures featured in Disney’s beloved film “Coco.” Marvel at Jacobo’s sculptures and Maria’s meticulous painting.
- Silvia Berrios: An El Salvadorian folk artist capturing feminine beauty through abstract and colorful lines using oil and canvas.
- Geraldo Ortega: Continuing his grandmother’s traditional Barro Betus technique, Geraldo creates whimsical clay figures known for their intricacy and vibrancy.
This free event will be held from August 4-6, with opening hours of 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Friday and Saturday, and 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Sunday. Free parking is available one block away at the Caltrans parking lot after 5 p.m. on Friday and throughout Saturday and Sunday.
Experience the magic of traditional craftsmanship with live demonstrations by skilled artists in woodcarving, painting, and weaving. Indulge your taste buds with delicious offerings from the special taco stand provided by Casa Guadalajara, our neighboring restaurant, serving tacos, aguas frescas, elotes, and fruit cups.
Be captivated by live performances from TINKU, a Latin American folk band, and enchanting Folkloric dancers and strolling mariachis.
Inside the Bazaar del Mundo Shops at 4133 Taylor Street in Old Town, you’ll find an irresistible selection of imported gifts and goods from Mexico and Latin America, along with a wide variety of books covering travel, culture, architecture, arts, crafts, and food.
About Bazaar del Mundo:
Since 1971, Bazaar del Mundo has been recognized as one of San Diego’s premier shopping destinations, offering hand-selected and handcrafted gifts and treasures from around the world. Curated by owner-operator Diane Powers and her dedicated staff, the Bazaar del Mundo Shops pay homage to the world’s most distinctive cultures with their bold and colorful merchandise.
- August 4-5, 2023, 10am- 8pm
- August 6, 2023, 10am-5:30pm
Phone – (619) 296 3161
Address – 4133 Taylor St, San Diego, CA 92110
Website – www.bazaardelmundo.com