Temple Beth Israel (1889)

Temple Beth Israel San Diego’s first synagogue was built by Congregation Beth Israel in 1889 in the Classic Revival style. The temple also served as temporary quarters for numerous religious sects before they established churches of their own. The Cultural Heritage Commission felt that the park would not be complete without the inclusion of a Victorian religious structure. On Nov. 2, 1978, the County relocated the temple to the park. The redwood building was cut in half for the move. It took 11 years to raise the necessary funds for an exact restoration. The first service was held on September 25, 1889.

Hours – Daily, sunrise to sunset

Phone – (877) 565-3600 & (858) 565-3600

Address – 2454 Heritage Park Row, San Diego, CA 92110


Former address: 1502 Second Avenue City of San Diego Historic Site #82, designated June 1, 1973.